Building Queen West
A Calendar by students of The Lyceum
Building Queen West is a tribute to the entrepreneurial and community spirit of the Queen West community. Each of the businesses featured here were chosen by our students because of the way they connect with the idea of “where we are”. This is an important theme at the moment, given the challenges and barriers these growing people face in forging community right now. This work folds into their ongoing study of the geo-cultural history of Queen Street West. For the calendar project, they researched the location at the archives, illustrated the business and interviewed the proprietors.
A portion of the proceeds of this calendar will go to the Parkdale Food Bank, who provide barrier-free food that respects choice and dignity for all. Now more than ever, food banks are sites of short-term assistance and advocacy. Escalating food bank use, destabilization of employment and the rapid disappearance of supported housing pose a frightening view the future.
We greatly appreciate your help in supporting their services by purchasing a calendar. Get yours (and maybe one for a friend) for $20 at thelyceumgallery.com.
Support your local:
- Silver Snail 809 Queen W — Get your pulp and paper fix.
- Type Books 839 Queen W — Your local independent bookstore, way more droog than Amazon.
- Terroni 720 Queen W — There are no substitutions for quality.
- Oyster Boy 872 Queen St W — Shucking only the pearls in the oysters.
- La Palette 492 Queen St W — Service with panache, for twenty years!
- Hooky’s 893 Queen W — Get hooked!
- Fresh 1 Market 614 Queen St W Vicky — Supplies the Lyceum’s food progamme with fresh produce every day.
- Edulis 169 Niagara Street — Creating inspired food that meditates on the details.
- Garrison’s Barber Shop 254 Niagara Street — Get your locks chopped in fine style!
- The Spice Trader 877 Queen St — Heady, exotic, aromatic delights to tantalise your palette.
- Nadege Patisserie Ltd. 780 Queen St W — A fourth-generation pastry chef from Lyon, Nadege ensures each creation is a work of art.